CNIB's braille courses
Courses are available for print and braille readers unless otherwise indicated by an asterisk.
CNIB clients’ immediate relatives are eligible for a 50% reduction in the course fee.
How the courses work:
- Courses are conducted via correspondence and should be completed within 12 months (an extension may be granted for extenuating circumstances)
- Students work at their own pace
- Course material is provided in hard copy or via download (please indicate print, braille or large print)
- Course material is mailed out once payment has been accepted
- Instructors are available for consultation via email
- Braille assignments are completed using Perky Duck (a free download braille program with six-key entry) or a manual brailler*
- Assignments are sent electronically to email@example.com or hard copies are mailed to the Braille Room, CNIB, 1929 Bayview Ave., Toronto, ON M4G 3E8
- Errors must be corrected before the next lesson’s assignments will be accepted
How to enroll:
- Enroll any time of the year by visiting our course page.
- For courses and tests with certification prerequisites, email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit proof of certification, where required.
- To be eligible for the CNIB discount, include your CNIB client number when contacting us at:email@example.com.
- Payment can be made with any major debit or credit card, PayPal, and Stripe. For payment by money order please contact us at BrailleCertification@cnib.ca
- Course fees are non-refundable unless written notice of withdrawal is received within 30 days of enrollment. A refund will be issued, minus a $30 administration fee and an additional charge for the course material.
- Test are marked using the demerit marking system out of 100
- Passing grade on tests is 90
- Certification is based on test results
- A prerequisite to writing a test is that all assignments have been completed and corrected
- The Transcribers test is issued when your instructor recommends the candidate to write the test
- Computer with Windows operating software
- Braille software with six-key entry, available for free download
- OR a manual brailler with 40 cells per line and 25 lines per page
Mail: Braille certification, 1929 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, ON M4G 3E8
Not sure what course you need? Contact us today.